Friday, 8 April 2016

Victoria Sponge with Strawberries and Cream


Today I thought I'd share with you a different post to usual. I baked a Victoria Sponge and added cream and strawberries on top to make it more refreshing. The sponge turned out light, soft, and springy. The recipe I used was from 'The Cooking Book', however, I adjusted it slightly.

Ingredients:
- 175g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 6-8 tbsp strawberry jam
- 180ml double cream
- 20g icing sugar
- Punnet of strawberries

Method:
- Preheat the oven to 190*C (375*F/Gas 5). Lightly grease and line the bottoms of the tins with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture begins to curdle, beat in 1-2 tbsp of the flour. Sift the flour and fold into the mixture.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins, and spread evenly to level the tops. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pale golden and springy to the touch. Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack. Peel off the lining paper, and allow to cool completely.
- When the cakes are cool, place one upside down on a serving plate, and spread with the strawberry jam.
- Whip the double cream until it holds its shape. Then spread it over the jam, and put the other cake on top of it. Spread cream on the top cake and decorate with strawberries.

Have you baked anything recently? Let me know in the comments if you try to bake this cake.

18 comments:

  1. sponge cake and strawberries and cream!! this is a great combination! x

    jess x | wellwellgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted so good! It's one of my favourite cakes for summertime x

      Delete
  2. Looks so yummy! I'd love to try this recipe out x

    Lina / lina-khalifa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it if you do :) x

      Delete
  3. Looks so yummy!! Strawberries are my faaavourite x

    Love, Maia
    www.maiacreed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Next time I bake it I'm going to cover it in raspberries too x

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness - yum! Looks delicious! Recently I baked banana bread with a friend, which we ended up burning a little. Still tasted good though!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love Banana Bread, really want to try baking that sometime soon x

      Delete
  5. This looks so good, I wish I could taste a piece! I'm always baking. Cupcakes are my favourite, I like decorating them.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks haha! I love baking cupcakes too, there's so many that I want to bake x

      Delete
  6. Oh wow this looks so delicious! Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg what a great combination! This cake looks so good :)

    www.anacelinelabod.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite cakes to bake, thank you :) x

      Delete
  8. Ooh, Victoria Sponge cakes are my favourite! I've never made one before but it seems pretty easy right?! And that picture is just too tempting!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's really straight forward and only takes about 15/20 minutes to make it before putting it in the oven! x

      Delete