Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Chocolate-Topped Banana Cake




For my brother's birthday last week I baked him a chocolate-topped banana cake - using a Nigella Lawson recipe. The cake was a hit with my family so I thought that I would share the recipe with you.

Ingredients:
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250g unsalted butter
- 250g white sugar
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 30 milliliters water
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 175g milk chocolate
- Strawberries (optional)

Method:
- Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F and line and grease a tin.
- Mix the flour and raising agents into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the softened butter into a different bowl and beat until smooth. Add the sugar to the mixture.
- Next add the peeled bananas, broken into chunks and mix till incorporated, then add the vanilla extract.
- Now add the eggs, one by one, alternating with the dry ingredients, mixing all the while, until everything is used up and you have a finished batter.
- Pour this into your prepared tin and bake for around 50 minutes - but do start checking at 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool before unmoulding the cake.
- Combine the water, golden syrup and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve before putting over a low heat. Don't stir once it's on the heat. Let it come to the boil and then take it off the heat. 
- Add the chopped chocolate to the pan, swirling it around so that it's covered by the hot liquid. Leave to melt for a few minute, then whisk to combine.
- Straightaway, pour over the cooled cake, letting it drip down the sides, using a spatula to help ease it over the top as needed. 
- Finally, I used the excess chocolate mixture to cover some strawberries in chocolate and decorate round the side of the cake. 

Have you been baking anything recently?

50 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! I'm new in the blogging world, want to check out my blog and follow for follow? Would really appreciate it :)

    http://xcherryblossomblogsx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! Yeah sure, I'll go check it out now :) x

      Delete
  2. OMG wow, I wanna try this!!! Looks super yummy.

    Big kiss
    Ana C, www.adreamersland.com
    www.facebook.com/adreamersland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think if you do bake it! Thanks x

      Delete
  3. Ooh this sounds delicious! Happy Birthday to your brother by the way!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so so good! Yum ☺
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice, definitely going to be making this again! x

      Delete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! I love chocolate and banana :)
    - Ambar | Her Little Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) you should try baking it! x

      Delete
  6. Yummy! This looks and sounds so good - have to try it out since I am obsessed with bananas this should be nothing but amazing :)
    xx
    http://putitallonme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It was really nice and so easy to bake x

      Delete
  8. My favourite cake recipe is Nigella's Custard Cake - (there's a photo of it on my blog in my 'My summer of 2015' post or something) so I'd defo recomend that if you like that one! xx

    http://inspireblogging.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen a custard cake before, I'll go check it out on your blog :) x

      Delete
  9. Wow, your blog is amazing! I love it! xx
    Would you like to follow each other? If yes, please follow me on the both of my blogs and let me know in the comments of my newest posts so I can follow you ASAP.
    Have a great day!

    Vildana from Living Like V & Stalia Is BAE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'll check out your blogs now x

      Delete
  10. Oh geez!!!! This look spectacular!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woaaaaah, looks delicious!!
    catmorais.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks amazing, whoo <3
    Ann | www.fashionspydiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. banana and chocolate is just the perfect mix and this cake looks and sounds like heaven.


    loovelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should try making it x

      Delete
  14. that looks delicious

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This made me even hungrier! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I love baking cakes. I'm definitely going to keep it.

    Walking Freckle
    thisblogbelongstosabi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out x

      Delete
  16. wow it looks very nice and there is no way i am not gonna try it x

    jess x | https://wellwellgirls.blogspot.tw/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really easy to bake as well! Enjoy x

      Delete
  17. Wow!! That looks so yummmmyyyyy!!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my god this look so so good! Thanks for sharing! Please do visit my blog if you get the chance, I love seeing new faces on it! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you're welcome! I will do, I love your blog x

      Delete
  19. i am now hungry haha

    great post <3

    Jade

    http://myroutinesjade.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't eve like banana but this cake looks and sounds amazing!
    The Lipstick, The Girl and Her Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! I'm sure you could try making it with a different fruit instead x

      Delete
  21. It has been far too long since I have baked something super indulgent. I love banana cake so I'll have to give this recipe a go.

    www.linderella.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! Let me know how it turns out x

      Delete
  22. This looks and sounds delicious!! I haven't baked anything in a while but I might have to give this a try!

    JennyLovesBeauty♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do! Let me know how your one turns out x

      Delete
  23. Replies
    1. Haha you have to treat yourself once in a while though! x

      Delete
  24. This looks so good! I will definitely have to try and make this myself! x
    Louise | helloteddy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know how it turns out x

      Delete