Sunday, 10 July 2016

Lemon Cupcakes




Lately, I've been doing lots of baking in my spare time. I usually stick to chocolate or vanilla cupcakes so I thought I would try something different and bake lemon cupcakes instead. The recipe I followed was from the Primrose Bakery Cupcakes book.

Ingredients:
(for cupcakes)
- 110g unsalted butter
- 225g golden caster suger
- 2 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 125g plain flour
- 90ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
(for icing)
- 110g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 500g icing sugar

Method:
- Preheat the oven to 160*C (fan)/180*C/350*F and line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for a few minutes after each addition.
- Combine the two flours in a separate bowl and combine the milk, lemon juice and sour cream in a jug. Add one-third of the flours to the creamed mixture and beat well. Pour in one-third of the milk and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk have been added, incorporating the lemon zest with the last third of flour.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them to about two-thirds full. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until slightly raised and golden brown. To check they are cooked, insert a skewer in the centre of one of the cakes - it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cakes in their tins for about 10 minutes before carefully placing on a wire rack to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and half the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar and beat again until smooth and creamy.

Will you be baking these cupcakes? If you do, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

26 comments:

  1. Oh wow these look delicious! I love the look of the icing xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll definitely be making these again x

      Delete
  2. These looks and sound absolutely delicious
    I love anything from Primrose Bakery, their recipes must be great

    What Raj Wants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always follow Primrose Bakery recipes because they're my favourite ones x

      Delete
  3. These look delicious! I love lemon cupcake as does my boyfriend! x

    Victoria | http://victoriaahelenn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeaaahh....now I'm hungry!! Damn you sweet tooth!

    www.ohsobecky.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sorry! You should try making them x

      Delete
  5. Ohhh yum!!! Need to try these ASAP

    mallory | http://www.the-drifter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should definitely bake them and let me know how they turn out! x

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh- now I feel like cupcakes haha! Thanks for the recipe xx

    www.bonbongirls.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look amazing!! need to try it!

    Have you seen my recent post yet about the Perrier event ?
    www.v-fashionwise.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh they look fab! Love lemon cake and I like how you iced them :-)
    Em x
    http://themusingsofem.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should try making them :) x

      Delete
  9. Uuu they looks delicious! Yum x

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love lemon desserts, and these cupcakes look absolutely scrumptious! xx Adaleta Avdic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try to make them yourself, they didn't take very long! x

      Delete
  11. AAAHHHH I need these in my life! They look delicious Emma xx
    http://www.britishmermaid.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should try baking them :) x

      Delete